September 7, 2020

Buy Nothing -- Plants

I'm loving my local Buy Nothing Facebook group. I have given and I have received.

My favorite thing is the vegetables and plants that I've gotten. One lady was giving away a huge geranium. I cut it into sections, rooted it and am nursing it back to health in various locations.

One guy was giving away green tomatoes, which led to this happy dinner last week. Fried green tomatoes were a delicious treat that my dad used to make on occasion:


Earlier this summer a man posted that he had Chinese plums, a favorite food of my childhood. We had a tree in the back yard that pumped out the fruit, and my dad and I sometimes canned them together. The flavor of stewed plums is one of those Proustian things...

The other day I posted a request -- anyone have shiso? Any color? I've been trying to grow it from seed for months, with no success. A wonderful person gave me this entire plant. I'm so excited.

And another lady yesterday posted that she wanted to give away a celery plant. That's my next acquisition. I am thrilled to have my own celery. 

Can't wait!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails