August 1, 2021

Plum Sauce 2021

In 1993 mrguy and I went to New Zealand, where we visited friends, saw tons of music, went to many barbeques, and ate some amazing plum sauce. The recipe was from the Edmonds Sure To Rise cookbook, something that everybody in NZ grew up with and had at least one of. A friend gave us an old copy of the cookbook, and as soon as there were plums to be had, which I think was in our second place in the refinery town, I made some of the sauce. It became my go-to ingredient in salad dressing and in maki sushi. The stuff lasts for years but I was almost out of my last bottle, and plum season is short so I'd been thinking ahead.

Last year my neighbor did not make use of his plums, and they were all over the sidewalk. I had been waiting to ask if I could glean his trees this year when I went around the corner and saw that he'd chopped his trees down (part of the neighborhood deforestation). So I gave up the idea of plum sauce.

But last week a neighbor offered his up to the community and I pounced. I had everything I needed but mace. I posted on my Buy Nothing Facebook group to see if anyone had 1/4 tsp of mace required for the recipe and a kind woman put a bag of mace blades on her porch for me. It was ON!!

And now I have plum sauce for the next bunch of years.


So good.

So grateful.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails