November 25, 2023

2024: A Lovely Thanksgiving

This was a rare Thanksgiving without my mom. I cooked while watching or (more accurately) listening to the Macy's parade and the dog show. I missed mom a little bit, but it was so comforting knowing that she had a random new caregiver who didn't know my phone number. Ahhhh.

Our friends came over with their dad, who is 88. He is really dear to me. We'll call him Murray. When I get to spend time with him I get all of the coziness of hanging out with older people without the judgment and overt disappointment that my mom makes sure I enjoy when I'm with her. It is awesome.

Murray told us his story about getting Jackie Robinson's autograph when he was a kid, and I mentioned the story that *I* knew about 15-year-old Murray winning a local tv station's baseball trivia contest. He told us that the prizes included a set of luggage (which he took with him to college) and a wall safe. I guess they expected the winner to be an adult.

My gal pal and I both made pumpkin pies, and she and mrguy put candles in them for her husband and my recent birthdays, which are a few days apart. And when we all had a slice of each and I said "I think I like yours better," she said "Well you ought to!! I put a lot of elbow grease into that!" and I laughed until I almost cried. She's a sketch.

We heard from the caregiver, who said that mom had a busy night.

And I do not care. 

I have asked the agency for caregiver coverage on Christmas and New Year's. I have told my sisters that I no longer care whether those caregivers are skilled or not, only that someone is with mom and it isn't me.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails