May 6, 2023

Friday Gratitude, Observed

It's been a tough week. My mom has been especially awful, to the point where mrguy suggested that I should take some time off from seeing her because it is not good for my mental health. Hasn't been good for my physical health, either, and I sometimes have gastric issues after I see her.

On the upside, we have some temporary help in my department at work that has two of my best guy friends working with us temporarily. Clam's husband, who is my friend and neighbor down the street, and a friend who we formed our Hawaiian band with many years ago are both temporary archivists. They and another really great lady who we're borrowing from another department are helping us with our backlog, which has gotten large quickly due to various large acquisitions from long-time employees.

I've been so cranky lately, and I have my crank on pause here for a few minutes in order to gratitoot ;)

This morning was the coronation of King Charles III. Now that it's over I'm sure he's as relieved as the rest of us. I invited the precious family to come over in the middle of the night and drink hot chocolate, which they did. We had hot chocolate with marshmallows, which I served in various royal mugs, and they brought me treats from England where they'd just come from the other day. They brought official Marks and Spencer shortbreads, which are amazing tasting and amazing looking and come in a commemorative tin. And they also brought me an official coronation mug. I wasn't expecting a present. I was simply happy that I could suggest they show up between 2 and 3am at my house for hot chocolate and British royal festivities and that they would even want to do it. I had their mugs warming for them when they arrived.


So it's belated because it's Saturday gratitude, but gratitude nonetheless. I feel super blessed.

Bonus points -- after I went back to bed for a while I visited my mom, and she was surprisingly sleepy, happy and delightful. I brought her a mason jar full of hot chocolate, along with marshmallows and shortbreads. We watched Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I know nothing about the MCU, and she couldn't really understand what was going on. "Is this in a movie?" was her common question. Neither of us really cared about the answer to that.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails