January 1, 2024

Nothing Changes on January 1!

One of the joys of the season is that as we were leaving for our holiday break nobody said "Thank goodness 2023 is over." I think people have largely gotten over the idea that we are promised a new start just because the pages fly off the calendar. It made me happy, because January 1st is basically December 32nd. Feel free to choose a new start but one is not arriving today.

In keeping with that theme, my mom is strong and passionate. I had a great New Year's Eve, but her caregivers (and my sister) did not. In the words of my sister:

"The caregiver asked me to call because Mom was crying and screaming. 

When I called, Mom took pains to tell me how she was proud that she could scream so well, and for so long!!

We had a 15-min convo and Mom started out by telling me how mean her "maid" was. She was also fixated on how much she owned: everything inside her room, and the building, AND the whole block... Oh! and the birds outside her window. That was a new one."

Contrast this with the sadness of my co-worker's mom's passing, in her 70s. So devoted to her kids, but deeply into her own thing (running and Iron Man). Ranked at the top of her age group and usually outrunning the age group below her, also. Struck down by the lung cancer that sneaks up on non-smokers. I wish I could have given some of my mom's years to her. It's so unfair.

But I guess my mom is deeply into her own athletic event (screaming) and proud to outpace everyone else competing.

She is in a class of her own, to be certain.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails