December 31, 2021

Straight Outta Refinery Town

Went on a walk yesterday with the Rev, out near the old place. It was lovely. We saw ruby crowned kinglets, and cats sleeping in the sun in the grass next to the trail. We saw a mountain pooping out a cloud. 

And we had some great views of the refinery near where I used to live. Which reminded me that I wanted to share a photo of a painting done by one of my former neighbors -- a pastiche of the area surrounding the refinery and old downtown where we all lived. The view reminds me of the view from a different neighbor's rooftop apartment over the former shoe store where the artists all had their studios. You could sit on her roof and look out to the other rooftops, and see the refinery on the hill, and hear the pool balls breaking at the bar across the street. On Sunday mornings you could hear the choir singing in the church that had once been a punk nightclub, and a movie theater before that.


Another former resident of that town and I visited later in the day, unmasked. Why I didn't put my mask on immediately when she said her son was working in a restaurant, I don't know. Her phone rang, and she picked up. It was her husband. Where were their rapid tests? Son's chef has COVID. She bolted out of my house. Son tested positive, she tested negative, and I'm not leaving the house for a while.

I really have to be more careful, even though I really am.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails