August 15, 2022

My Mother The Stalker

Today was the mama's last day in her apartment. She doesn't know.

I have taken the week off in order to move her to memory care. Today my sister came out from Minnesota, and she and our caregiver took a tour of the new place. Our caregiver says it is beeeeyooootiful! Sister is pretty positive but is worried that the mama will see herself as different and more able than the other residents and not like it.

Some things that play in favor of the new joint are:
  • More people in the hallways -- currently my mom lives at the end of a hallway and that hallway is often empty. It freaks her out.
  • More activities -- a person who has worked at her current place offered the opinion that now that the Executive Director is closer in age to the residents, there isn't as much cool stuff going on as there used to be (and I concur)
  • I can pop down there at lunch and say hi. It's 15 minutes from my house.
So today, when I was holding down the fort with Mom, she told me "I have a man problem". I'd heard from my other sibs that she'd recently been talking about interest in men. FASCINATING!! I asked for more information and she told me that she liked a man who lives in the community, but she's worried she blew it because other ladies also like him. Really? My observation has been that most of the ladies who live there are not obvious man-liking types.

Anyhoo, we put on her shoes and she had us going everywhere in the building looking for him. I didn't realize that was what we were doing at first. And then we went to the dining room multiple times. And then we went back to the apartment and she started scheming about how we could figure out where he might be.

Back at her new community, my sister revealed that she'd seen a guy take down his pants in the hallway. You never know -- the mama might like this change of pace. I just hope she doesn't get monkeypox. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails