September 9, 2023

Other Things That Happened

A lot of staycation 2023 was taken with mom stuff, as usual. The first weekend was so relaxing. I attended a zoom genealogy society meeting, and I simply un-laxed. Much needed. I did *not* see my mom other than introducing her caregiver on Saturday. The caregiver, who was on time, was also well-spoken, asked good questions and seemed like an adult. She listened to caregiver #1 and I's advice on how things worked at the memory care unit, and understood the two important things: 1) please do not use your phone other than to communicate with us and 2) never leave my mom unattended because she is a fall risk. New caregiver left us floating on a cloud, sending cheery photos of mom and not asking for help.

And then Monday came and all of the people who work at the facility gave our caregiver a piece of their mind. The weekend person was basically a lying sack of shit who used her phone constantly and left my mom in a public area and blew the scene for two hours. She was spotted at a local Starbucks by an employee of the facility. Not only that, the guy who runs memory care, who is generally uninterested in his job, told the caregiver never to come back. I told the agency point person that we are not paying for last weekend.

The agency is a problem. Our point person does not have follow through. But how do you hire for my mean (or nice, depending) but definitely racist mom? I had to settle down my sisters this week, because this is super stressful. My agency people never work out and I don't have the energy to look for a different agency. Middle sister arranged for one caregiver to work an extraordinarily long shift in order to cover Saturday days, and now the agency and I are covering Sunday days only. Now that we only are asking for one shift, the agency is even less interested. Me too, man! I'll keep introducing new ladies every Sunday until my mom dies, and hopefully the rotating cast of caregivers won't kill her. But it's a lot of work every week, even when the person doesn't kill my mom.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails