June 19, 2023

Happy Monday!

They look so peaceful when they sleep.
Monday has become one of my favorite days. The dream team takes care of mom that day and I can do other things, like work. I have one standing meeting, and one standing conversation at the end of the day with my good friend the minister.

Today's a little different. I took Juneteenth as a vacation day, and will work on the Freedman's Bureau transcription project. My current set of items to transcribe is lists of outrages inflicted on Freedmen in Texas in 1866. My favorite part of these is getting identifying names of people right so that descendants of enslaved people can learn more about them and so that people who inflicted pain on others can be easily found, as well. People are so willing to find their good traits in their ancestors. Let's show them the full picture.

Mom ate another caregiver yesterday. I had to go down there, ask the caregiver to leave and finish her shift. THIS is why I'm glad that my mom lives 15 minutes away now. The caregiver was not skilled, was timid, and when my mom turned on her, as she does, she let my mom do whatever. When mom was found ON THE FLOOR NEXT TO HER WHEELCHAIR at the nurse's station, the caregiver was yards away, around a corner, texting to someone. 

After all this, after mom calmed down from "madder than a wet hen" but with fists instead of feathers, we watched Shark Tank and she finally felt sleepy. She nattered on nonstop for about an hour in word snippets. Except when she was talking about preparing for vacation, a subject so native to her that she can construct whole sentences about it easily. She wants to talk about how many cars to take, how many people can fit in them, whether the boys are already there...whoever she means by that.

In other news, our new line of forklifts is officially tanking. I wonder what happens next.

But I don't have to think about that today. I'm taking a vacation day. My family does not know. It is mine and I intend to enjoy it.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails