June 20, 2024

My Endoscopy!

Today it was time for my own endoscopy. I'm wearing my "His Fight is My Fight" t-shirt (available here). And I brought along -- wait for it -- celebrity chef David Chang! More on that later.

It was as I recalled from my colonoscopy. Propofol has a distinctive smell. While they were injecting me, someone said something to the effect of "This is the good stuff," and I managed to quip "That's what Michael Jackson said" right before passing out.

The doctor knows how worried I am about the results. First, I'm hoping that I don't have esophageal cancer. I was crying earlier today because what if I have it and I can't take care of mrguy, but then I realized that whatever it is will be, and we'd figure it out. The doctor reminded me of how the statistics are in my favor (women are less likely to have EC).

On exit he did not say that everything was great. I can't recall much of what he did say, other than we'll have the results of the biopsies early next week, he's going to prescribe stronger drugs, and we'll redo the test in 3 months. There were polyps in my stomach, as I can see in the paperwork he sent me home with. He biopsied some. I read on the internet that these polyps often come about in people who are on various of the drugs for reflux.

That's what I got.

And now back to the David Chang program previously in progress.

Last week a friend was reading the mrsguy updates and reminded me that her family is friends with him. And I felt bad about saying stuff about him. And it made me want to read the book that I'd returned to the free table at work.

So last week as I was headed to get some lunch, my teammates and I noticed that the free table was overflowing. Lots of layoffs means lots of stuff on the free table. 

And there it was. Eat A Peach. The same copy, with two tell-tale dots of ink on the cover, now slightly smeared. And as I needed something to entertain me today while I was suited up for the endoscopy, I brought it with me. Answered questions about it, told people how much I enjoyed his Netflix show, explained that the beef about Momofuku Chili Crunch had been settled. And out of the crenelations of my brain I was reminded of the song: "Me. And. David! David Chang (DavidChangDavidChangDavidChang). We got a thing. Go-in on...."


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails