June 1, 2024

Kenau Simonsdochter Hasselaer

Readers of mrsguy are aware of how much I like an auction. Shopping makes me happy, and by reviewing material at auction you learn about so much weird historical stuff that you wouldn't know about otherwise.

If you're me.

Today I got an email from Dorotheum. It's an auction house in Vienna. We stayed a few blocks from it in 2014, and were able to visit on a day when they had all of the items in an amazing auction of household items (furniture, lighting, hat stands, you name it) all laid out like dozens of rooms in a museum exhibition. And now I'm on their mailing list. I especially enjoy looking at their Old Masters auctions.

Today there was a good and small auction. One painting in particular was super compelling. I love paintings that also contain writing. Anyhoo, here you go:

Witness Kenau Simonsdochter Hasselaer. She was a wood merchant in the Netherlands who became a folk hero for helping defend the city of Haarlem against the Spanish. Hard to tell but the guy represented on the left (wearing a Spanish helmet) may have left his body elsewhere. Like it might just be a head. 


I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. If someone hadn't already bid 5000 USD I might have been tempted. For more reading on Kenau, here is the Wikipedia article.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails