August 15, 2024

In Praise of: The 2024 Election Cycle

I'm mostly waxing long here so that I remember how batshit crazy this election cycle is, because we will all forget some day...

NeverTrumpers and others have been pointing out the obvious for many years, now, and it has not mattered. Trump's racism, sexism, xenophobia, lack of empathy and unreliability are blatantly obvious. His bullying behavior is despicable. He sucks up to Christians and they don't seem to care that he's a vulgar untrustworthy heathen who has paid for abortions. Somehow people love him even though he does not love back. What is it? I still don't get it. In June, after the debate, another Trump administration looked inevitable, like it was time to just lay down and think of England.

Nothing touches Trump. Except his own tiny pink hands.

RFK Jr.
In 1980 I thought that guy was the hottest thing on the face of the earth. I heard he was going to speak on behalf of his Uncle Ted, who was then running for president, so I went to the event at nearby suburb. I was 17, but was super interested in the election. I wore a powder blue cowl-neck angora sweater, and I ordered myself a gin and tonic. I may or may not have talked an older man into buying it for me (before he realized how young I was). I looked into those amazing blue RFK Jr. eyes and was mesmerized. That's all I remember. And I ended up thinking he was pretty ok over the years until the Vanity Fair expose about how he treated his wife.

Just another Kennedy, it turns out.

But wait. It can't get weirder than it is now. He looks like he bathes himself in iodine. He's an anti-vaxxer. He claims that a worm ate half his brain. And that he dropped a dead bear cub in Central Park and tried to make it look like a bike accident. If someone tried to write that last part they couldn't because his description of the bear thing it starts with "falconing", involves roadkill-napping, followed by dinner and a forgotten appointment to fly somewhere, with a detour for a "prank" requiring a dead bear *and* a bicycle.

At no point did he think to, maybe, leave a dead bear alone. Or call Fish & Game. Or maybe leave the bear on the side of a *different* road once the bear became inconvenient or, or, or maybe keep that the bear story secret until after asking the American Public to also vote for him for president. We all want to vote for you because your judgment is soooooo awesome.

Dude.

After revealing this whole mishegoss to Roseanne Barr, of all people, he still had the guts to call Kamala and ask for a job. She did not pick up.

The Convention
Earlier in our program, the GOP convention brought back all of the people who were brave enough to say, earlier, that they would never support Trump. These folks were using tactics popularized by Susan Collins (R) and Joe Manchin (D, now I), smart enough to know that they could get a little frisson of attention for their individuality, while then coming back into the fold when necessary to get the benefit of being on a winning side. Ewww. Nikki Haley you are so gross.

The Running Mate
That guy, JD Vance, is a bad person with bad thoughts. He seems to hate women. They are here to serve him, his children, and definitely not his cat. Even when you hear him talk about multigenerational families you expect him to tell you that Grandma should live with you so that you can take care of her. No, Grandma should live with you so she can continue to take care of *you*. Oh! I get it. Lucky Grandma. 

The Debate
After the super sad debate where a good president wasn't up for it and we couldn't un-see that fact, people like me were ready to turn off the tv and make our peace with the obvious outcome of the election. That the president was later convinced to relinquish the candidacy to Kamala is a miracle. 

I Am Loving This
Suddenly Trump is the old guy (which he already was). Suddenly Trump is infirm (which we've been telling you for years is the case). Suddenly his shit stinks. At last. I don't know how his force field was suddenly pierced but it seems, from where I'm sitting, that his own party is even trying to get him to change course and he's not having it. The schadenfreude is real, people. And now the thing that can't be unseen is Trump. He is who he is. He isn't going to change. And Nikki Haley has already scuttled away, claiming her own glory by publicly telling him not to whine, signaling her own desire to be president.

Time for some popcorn and an Abba-Zabba. It is going down, and I am here for it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails