October 7, 2007

Ginkgo


I thought I loved ginkgo trees.

Having tangled with one last week, I have to say I'm reconsidering!


While on a walk with our friends, we came across fruit on the ground under a ginkgo tree. I'd always wanted to try a ginkgo nut, and this was my chance. It was a hot day. They were warm and wrinkly, like grapes turning to raisins in the sun...and they smelled a little ripe, roasting on the hot Sacramento sidewalk.

Back home, I pulled the flesh apart to reveal the hard pistachio nut like seed inside. A rank stench filled the house. Mrguy rushed into the kitchen to open all of the windows and the back door. I will not be trying fresh ginkgo nut, it seems. Or growing a ginkgo tree.


And that's o.k.


1 comment:

meathenge said...

Didn't your mother ever tell you to not pick up things off the street or sidewalk?

Biggles

Related Posts with Thumbnails