April 6, 2019

Sumo News, 2019 Edition


One day during what my Facebook friends who draw call "inktober", I posted a photo of my own inktober, a tattoo in honor of Akebono, the 64th yokozuna. About twenty minutes later my patented slow walk (tm) took me past the house of a friend and neighbor. He must have seen my post and he came out of his house to greet me. "Is it true that you know about sumo? Could you please step into our kitchen for a minute and make my wife really happy?" Turns out that his wife, who I already really like, really wanted to know about sumo.

And now she does. We've watched three bashos together, eaten piles of Japanese snacks and consumed the blissful aroma of cold sake in cedar cups. So much fun.

I'm not sure how I haven't taken photos of our crazy bonanza of snacks, but it's been really awesome. Our friend is really hooked. She has the books and the t-shirts and the questions and knows so many of the things. It is super fun. I never imagined, after having been introduced to sumo by a woman that I would find another person besides mrguy who would have an interest in watching sumo. And that it would be another woman. What?

Yesterday she texted me photos of a random person she met at Baskin Robbins who wanted to know about her Tachiai shirt (Tachiai is one of the main English language sumo blogs). They had a great conversation during which he revealed that he's a journalist and then he texted her selfies of himself with well-known sumotori. He thought it was pretty funny that we eat clam dip and sembei and watch the basho together.

I am a lucky person. Thank you, world.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails