October 22, 2019

My New Car

So I have a new car. A 2000 Toyota Camry. When my dad bought it for my mom he said "This is the last car your mother will ever own", which was really insulting because he was dying and she was in top condition. True to form it is 20 years later and she and the car are still kicking.

[slight pause here, because as I write this mrguy is murdering either toast or the toaster. He's out of sight, so I can hear the trauma but not see it!]

Back to our story. Recently mom's landlord took back her parking space, on the excuse that she doesn't actually drive her car. Unfair, really, because she and her caregivers use the car on her behalf. But whatever.

Normally this situation would lead to a person getting rid of the car. Game over, right? But Mom is really into her car. Her father was a car dealer. And my sister who lives far away is also into Mom's car, and wants one to drive while she is out here caring for the mama. In order to make my people happy I need to own, insure and house the car.

For this reason I spent my day off dealing. Two hours enjoying the air conditioning while waiting my turn to register the car in my name. I met a nice man whose mother-in-law is 99 years old and looks 80. And a cancer survivor who was wearing some awesome pink clothing, and a lady who was smart enough to go shopping and then come back. They quoted me one hour wait. It was double that. Registration and insurance themselves only took half an hour tops:

Then I got a sandwich at Subway and scarfed it in the car, and then went to my happy place, the Asian market that I refer to as Ranch 98:


Then I took my groceries home and went straight back out to get the car detailed. I have never detailed a car, but I've been driving this one unhappily for a few weeks because it smells like fabric softener sheets and farts. Urp. I got the full detail with floor mat and seat shampoo and everything. Read a book for an hour and a half and ate Doritos.

The goal of this day was to get it all done and relax while doing it, no matter how long it took. The answer was about six hours, all told. And I did relax. I also made a kick ass papaya salad (more like a goi ga, with papaya) when I got home.
 

Did I mention that I also have to get the mama to the dermatologist (I estimate 5 visits) and get her Real ID, and start Christmas preparations?



But today is a day for resting, looking out at the water and working in the garden.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails