November 7, 2021

Adventures in Making Stuff: Kefir

A woman on my buy nothing group was giving out kefir grains. Mrguy likes kefir, and I wanted to try it, so I raised my hand and now I'm doing the things!

It's beyond easy. You take the kefir grains (tapioca-like balls, swimming in milk snot), add them to some fresh milk, cover with a semi-permeable barrier (I use a coffee filter) and wait. In one day it's kefir, a fermented milk product that is tasty and super good for you. I have been flavoring mine with some pureed berries and adding a little sugar. 

Here it is getting ready to be kefir. Hiding behind some cat grass that I'm giving away to the people on buy nothing.


And here it is after I've flavored it. 


The whole group of us that she gave grains to are having a good time adding kefir to things (instead of buttermilk in pancakes, for example) and basically geeking out.

Good times! I had heard of making kefir but couldn't quite picture the process until I was gifted the grains.

And now I am one!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails