September 12, 2026

The One Where I Retire With An Empty Hand v2

Those who don't ask don't get. And sometimes those who do ask don't get. And sometimes those who do ask have confusing conversations about how they're part of the fabric of the company and its history and its culture. And sometimes those on the other end seem to think that because they've told you that they think you're considered important to the company it actually means something for you. 

It doesn't. It is about people in power wanting you to stick around because they like you.

Although that's super nice, it's maddening. It doesn't make you feel appreciated for what you do, it makes you feel -- ornamental. With an empty hand.

In a followup phone conversation with the head of the forklifts I yelled. I said everything that I thought was important. It won't change a thing, but at least I got it all out. 

That, people, was for me.

No comments: