March 1, 2009

Tanglefoot

'Tis the season.

The fruit trees will start to bloom soon, and it's now or never in pest preventionville. My modest goal is to enjoy more of our fruit than the apple worms do this year.

To this end, I'm trying Tanglefoot.

It's a goopy layer of green-friendly sludge that you smammy onto the trunks of fruit-bearing trees. It prevents bugs from crawling up them and doing their bug business. What kind of bug business, you ask? Aphid farming. Egg laying. Stuff that people who own fruit trees don't like.

It's war. But a gentle war, because mrguy doesn't believe in pesticides.

So out I went yesterday in the drizzle. Here's the result:


After I admired my work, I remembered that this was basically the same procedure they used in the beautiful garden we visited in Japan. The gardeners wrapped some of the pine trees in straw matting in the fall, which they'll remove and burn in the spring. And Bob's your uncle.

At harvest I will report back. In the meantime, I'm hoping that there will be some visible progress in the form of bug bodies ensnared as if in a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

Is it too much to ask? 


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails