March 7, 2014

The Egg

Last week's adventure in medicine involved a trip to the eye doctor. With an eyelid swollen, and a trip on the horizon, I visited the doctor. Blepharitis is creeping back in.

The March sumo basho is almost upon us, so I was wearing a sumo-themed t-shirt, jeans and some tabi shoes. The ladies at the front desk thought the shoes were just HILARIOUS, and asked if they could take a picture of them for their Instagram. On the way out, the doctor said "You know what she is, right? She's an egg. White on the outside, yellow on the inside." The way she said it I'm pretty sure that she meant it in a non-derogatory way.

But I got home, looked in the Urban Dictionary and saw the term defined a white person who wants to be Asian. 

Hmm. Now I'm getting a complex. 

I do love Japan. I do dream of travel in Asia often. I do subscribe to TV Japan so we can watch sumo. But I like a lot of things from other cultures (pork floss! tapas! 40s Mexican orchestra music! Hawaiian music!), sometimes deeply so, and with an awareness that you can't assimilate. Nor would I want to. But as a person who flies her freak flag freely, I'm not keeping my passions to myself.

I don't know what I am, but I think I'm not an egg.






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails