June 19, 2016

Hold For Mrs Guy

Mrguy has been a very busy fellow. Improv, his band...and my mom and work on my end. I don't always feel like we spend enough quality time together. So a few weeks ago I ordered tickets to a friend's play about her great grandmother who was a madam in Chinatown. And then I got tickets to W. Kamau Bell for us, and then I seized a day on our Google Calendar and marked it HOLD FOR MRSGUY. I'm on a roll.

So yesterday we headed off to the big city early, and saw two hours of people from different disciplines (chefs, game designers, musicians, forklift designers) hold forth for 20 minutes apiece about storytelling. It was very much LHH (Loving Hands of Home), and a first outing for this series, but it was great. And it came with fancy lunch in a gorgeous setting.


On the way home the weather was perfect and you could imagine the tourists deciding to move here.

After a short rest I hooked up with a guy on Craigslist and got a free and very large epiphylum to add to my collection of friends in the breezeway.



Then we went to dinner at our friend / real estate agent's house. She and her partner live in an amazing folly covered with granite rocks, surrounded by gardens and adjacent to hundreds of acres of park land. 

 
They'd just finished smoking some salmon. Oh darn.


We talked about houses, pickling, life stories, food, and more food. They had just bought a pizza oven at Cost Plus the other day, and there was much cooking, tossing of skillets into various fire pits, and laughing. My contributions were not great, but I volunteered to make the salad dressing, which gave me the excuse to forage in the garden (oregano, lemon balm, thyme, onions) and the fridge (fig mustard and chokecherry jam) Not every pizza pie was a success, and even that was so much fun.


 This was one of my favorite days of this year. It really felt like a weekend.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails