February 16, 2019

The Weekend

[Note: written earlier this week but posted this weekend]
 
I was so excited about this weekend. Sure, I spent Thursday night sleeping at my mom's and getting up no fewer than 4 times in the middle of the night. Sure, as she was winding down for the evening she was watching Fox News full blast in the other room and I had to listen to MTV's only Republican VJ ever, Kennedy, who is now a Fox News talking head, and her this shy of Coulterian dramatic retelling of how crazy the Democratic party is. Oy. But I was looking forward to a weekend that had a blank calendar. Butno. No. No. No. Fate had other ideas.

I got the call that our beloved caregiver had to go to the ER on Friday so I closed the old laptop and hurried over to take care of the mama. I am happy to report that our caregiver "only" has pneumonia. And because I wasn't out of town or something I could fill in her shifts Saturday day, Sunday night and I'm already on the schedule for tonight so she can rest. We were so worried about her.

Whew.

January 2019 was the four year mark of us kids all recognizing at the same time that Mom had a real problem and we needed to address it.

And then about a billion other things happened that led to here.

Bigsis and I wonder how much longer we'll be doing this. We've had a blessedly steady six months, and the mama's health has held steady. Her mental health is pretty steady, also, but a little more unfiltered. But I love her, and I cherish the time we have, even if sometimes it's totally weird and if navigating her through her world and protecting her from it and it from her is awkward as hell. Pictured: mom starting to agitate about how she doesn't like the bread in the dining room in the community where she lives.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails