December 28, 2019

Color

The other day I read two fascinating pieces about color.

The first, about the first aniline dye accidentally created by William Henry Perkin. His discovery, mauve dye, led to a fashion craze and the understanding that chemistry could turn into industry.

The second was something I found while looking for genealogical information by reading finding aids of the archives of Saxony. There I learned that there was something called Saxon Blue. Researching a bit, I found this amazing piece about the development of color in the 18th century in Europe. Saxon Blue, it seems, was a thing. And since I've been doing some research on art and artists of 18th century Saxony (especially Anton Graf and my 5th ggfather Ernst Gottlob), this will make for some fun reading.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails