February 23, 2020

I Have Partially Regained My Senses

This week I shared my restaurant conundrum with a friend who saves her money in order to travel the world, sometimes eating at fancy restaurants. She's definitely more into Alchemist than I, and will let me know tomorrow whether she would like to take over our reservation and its hefty price tag. Whew.

In the meantime, the restaurant just got two Michelin stars this week. Don't care. Recall that mrguy and I quite happily ate tomato basil panini from 7-11 every day we were in Bergen. It was tasty and not eating in restaurants gave us more time to spend in the city.

When it comes down to it, I think a super fancy restaurant is just not my thing. A restaurant like Alchemist is cool for the young people. I've *eaten* worms and bugs for fun, and I've seen lots of high concept video of weird stuff (albeit not while eating). And I had the great good fortune to eat at Per Se, and it was really good. But the kitschy parts of Per Se (a bunch of flavors that recreate a Snickers bar, for example) are the things that Alchemist seems to emulate, and those are the things that I thought were silly. Per Se's Oysters and pearls, however, I would eat until the cows came home : )

In the meantime, this experience has led me to a greater understanding of what I *do* want to eat in Copenhagen, so I have a different restaurant scoped out that will give us local flavors in a restful setting and with a lower price tag.

More to follow.



1 comment:

Richard P said...

On Thanksgiving, Kack and I blew $300 at a steak house which was definitely not worth it. However, $200 is worth spending at the most innovative and delicious restaurant in Porkopolis. Join us sometime!

Related Posts with Thumbnails