March 15, 2020

I Will Hide Stuff In Your Food

Because I can.

I am the child of Depression-era parents. I am the daughter of a woman who didn't give me more than half a paper napkin until I was almost 40. I remember teasing her "You *do* love me, Mom!" She laughed at other people being cheap, but after she had enough money to offer her guest whole napkins, she still would have a friend over for lunch and the two of them would spend the afternoon cutting paper luncheon napkins in half while they chatted.

The corona virus has us all pretty spooked today. Yesterday we moved my mom out of her living situation temporarily because we don't think a building full of other old people is a safe place for her to live or a safe work environment for her caregivers. The day before that we had a 2+ hour Vortex of Power conference call about all of the covid-19 nonsense and what to do about Mom. What's scary about all of the scenarios you see on tv is that I am the only person in my family that isn't high risk, because I'm the only person under 60.

Tomorrow we have bigsis coming to pick up the mama to take her to their house for two days, at great risk to themselves. Bigsis is 72 and her husband is 85. Scary for them. And I suddenly had the mama for (almost) two days in which she asked me about what was happening many many times, couldn't remember the answer and was indignant when I'd take a deep breath before answering.

So between worrying about food shortages and being annoyed with my person, I didn't feel bad about hulling strawberries for her morning waffle and then serving her the hulls in her evening fritatta. No I did not. I almost went around the property pulling edible weeds and sauteeing them, as well. And I worried that I am eating too much food and not conserving enough.

I hope this coronavirus thing ends soon. But I sense that it will not.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails