March 16, 2022

Feuerzangenbowle

During the holidays, there was an interesting item on offer on the local buy nothing group: a zucker hut, or sugar cone. What's it for? It's the essential ingredient in German Fire Punch, aka feuerzangenbowle, which is mulled wine enhanced with flaming rum soaked sugar. 

Once I knew what feuerzangenbowle was, you bet I wanted that sugar cone. A flaming table-side treat (like cherries jubilee)?! My love for regional foodways and bevways went into overdrive and I spent many hours trying to procure the items I needed without breaking the bank. The sugar alone (zucker hut) costs seven bucks plus shipping, and for-realsies feuerzangenbowle rigs were priced at close to two hundred bucks.

Now that it's March, the price has gone down by more than half. I bought a brand new feuerzangenbowle set and I am very happy. Now we just have to end the pandemic so we can have people over to enjoy the spectacle and drink all the wine. The recipe calls for three bottles (plus 151 rum to get the sugar burning).

For your enjoyment, I leave you with a video of fire punch in action.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails