December 17, 2022

Hey Man

I was talking to that nice boy the other day. I think he's officially a nice man now, because he and I have just turned 60, but whatever. He reminded me of this time when he and some co-workers from the winery were driving in the Golan when they saw a frustrated driver yell out his car window "Hey, man! Fuuck you!!" They all thought it was hilarious, and that nice man heard the story repeated at the winery, by otherwise nicely religious guys, in Hebrew, with the punch line in English -- "Hey, man! Fuuck you!!" Eventually, the story became so well known that all anybody had to say was "Hey man!" and everyone knew what the rest of the sentence was. 

I also thought this was hilarious, so I wrote "Hey, man! Fuuck you!!" on a piece of paper near my usual perch on the sofa. Mrguy's hypervigilant, so this caught his eye and he started laughing before I could even tell him the story. Anyhoo...

I had a kinda "Hey man!" day yesterday, trying to get a Covid vaccine. I was 4 days away from getting my bivalent vaccine in October when I got Covid. That meant that I had *some* immunity, and wasn't eligible to get the vaccine until December. Last week was two months past Covid, so I tried to get an appointment for a vaccine at my doctor's office and learned that the nearest option was AN HOUR'S DRIVE FROM MY HOUSE. Shoot.

So I went to the Walgreens website and signed up for an appointment at a local store. I picked a perfect day that wouldn't screw up my work week, since the vaccine lays me out for days. I got to my appointment yesterday, stood in line for 15 minutes or so, and when I got to the front of the line, I see this sign:


This was definitely a Hey Man moment. Turns out that the Walgreens website lets you schedule a vaccine at a location that does not vaccinate. Fine. I go home, grab my laptop, schedule at another site and a few minutes later the location cancels. But I really want a vaccine on the date I've chosen. And I've kinda given this day up for being incapacitated by the vaccine, so I drive down to Costco. They have the vaccine but no appointments. So I try the CVS website. I have scheduled for Monday at a CVS in a Target store nearby. 

We'll see how it goes.

UPDATE:
I got my vaccine yesterday at 6pm. I went to bed around 10, and I rolled around in bed (again) like a hot dog at 7-11. I woke up, did my Pilates class and afterward felt like crap. Maybe not a good idea but we're about to go into break, and I need the exercise. In a meeting, a colleague described her vaccine experience as feeling as if for 24 hours someone was pulling her muscles off of her bones. At 25 hours it was over.

My real aches started at 9 or so, after Pilates. I have a project to finish and can't really stop working on it. I took a bath during lunchtime, which didn't really help, and eventually I took some Tylenol (and Tums). I feel much better now, at the 24.5 hour mark, but it might be a rough night. At least I can work from home tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails