January 14, 2024

Things I Did Not Buy: Wax Jack

This week I've been eying a thing at a local auction. The drag of the rope of wax is so beautiful and, of course, the color. In my imagination, this item is about 10" high and sitting in the middle of my dining room table. So I keep going back to the auction to see it.

Then I looked at its dimensions. So small and ineffectual. I suffered a sudden de-acceleration of desire, if you follow me. I backed up.

What exactly is a wax jack, anyway? It's for sealing wax, not illumination. This item would sit on a desk and melt your sealing wax so you could drip it on your letter to close it and mark it with your crest (or whatever). This was in the days before minty / moldy-tasting pre-glued envelopes (or email).

Not for illumination. Not for looking pretty on your dining table as an object of interest.

Not sexy.

Wax jack.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails