March 10, 2013

Hometown Maki

Yesterday was Grandmamoo Guy Tax Day, a yearly celebration in which BigSis and I do Mom's taxes. Mom starts agitating about it around Christmas, and somewhere around the first of the year, BigSis and I plan both a birthday celebration for Mom, and set the day for Tax Day.

Yesterday morning, somewhere in the middle of my bath, I heard the doorbell ring. The Jehovahs knock, so I was a bit perplexed. mrguy got out of bed, answered the door and then went back to bed. "Who was there?" I called out over the bathwater. "It's me," said BigSis. Unexpectedly, she'd come to pick me up.

We tootled off to Mom's, did the taxes with only a few emails to our accountant and midday calls to MiddleSis. Then we went to Mom's favorite Japanese restaurant for dinner. Oh darn :)

Which brings me to the subject of hometown maki. Many years ago mrguy and I were at a Japanese restaurant in Seattle with friends. There was a Seattle Roll on the menu, which I imagine featured salmon. Then we started discussing hometown maki with key local ingredients: there's a Philadelphia Roll (cream cheese), New Orleans Roll (crawdads), California Roll (avocado). Wherever you are, the local Japanese restaurant has a roll with that name. Rochester Roll, anyone? And exactly what would be in that, anyway? Our Seattle friend, born in Rochester, replied "Creamed corn and saltpeter...to keep the incest down".

I don't know what our local ingredient would be. Crab? My hometown is on the water. Anyway, when I saw the name of my hometown on the menu I got really excited and ordered it. This restaurant's vision of my town was crispy, cool ocean and citrus: asparagus tempura, avocado, salmon, lemon. This was the best fancy roll I have ever eaten (not that the guy family eats fancy very often). Wow. 



It made me wonder what other restaurants thought was an appropriate roll for my hometown. Here's what I found:

1) tuna, salmon & hamachi deep - fried rolled in soy bean paper
2) cucumber, real crab meat, unagi & tobiko wrapped w/ sliced cucumber
3) shrimp tempura, crab, avocado
4) shrimp tempura, cucumber, avocado and crab

I'm going to stick with my original hometown maki. 

Can't wait to have it again.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails