November 12, 2017

Sweet Potatoes

We have this room in the big brown box that we call the the aku room. The reference here is that we once went to see Kupaoa play at the Windward Mall and the stage there is under a giant skylight. Kellen remarked that it was hot enough on that stage to dry aku (skipjack tuna). Ever since that comment, we've dubbed our blazing and pointless sunroom the aku room. We only use it to dry our laundry, although I sometimes fantasize about actually using it to dry aku or make hoshigaki (dried persimmon).

Anyhoo, one of the things I sometimes try to do in there is start plants. And when a sweet potato we had in the kitchen began to sprout leaves, mrguy planted that potato in some potting soil. It languished out there for months, and then he potted it in a planter on the deck. Its leaves have been flourishing ever since, and I protect it from the mama when she's out there because I know she wants to prune the leaves. I haven't known what was going on underneath the soil, though. This whole sweet potato thing is new to us. 

This morning I went out to get some herbs and curiosity got the better of me. I took a moment to rootle around in the dirt, when up came a teensy sweet potato! About as thick as my ring finger. We will give this little friend a place of honor in our Thanksgiving dinner.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails