May 5, 2019

Mourning Lobsters

After Christmas it was clear -- I needed more lobsters to gussy up our Mugo Pines, on all occasions. Like Porkopola and Fritz, geese of yore, but lobsters.

So I bought 8 more lobsters, as you do, and I made bunny ears for them for Easter, as you do, and desported them about the property.



I showed my Easter lobster photo to a colleague who asked what the next occasion was, and I imagined it would be the 4th of July. She said she thought that they should wear little white shoes for the summer season. Fate, however, had a different idea.

Today I had just finished taking the bunny ears off the lobsters and making a new box labeled "Lobster Accoutrements" when we got some sad news: Blick's father, Papa, has passed away. Papa was quite grown up, so it wasn't horribly surprising, but he was so dear and interesting and himself, and I will miss him. I have enjoyed every single time I have spent with them, and Papa and Mama, who survives him, never seemed to mind that I was myself around them. And that was so nice.

I don't always have the most normal way of expressing my emotions, so the first thing that occurred to me was to make little mourning armbands for the lobsters.


We are all very sad.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails