November 12, 2023

Standard Time

It's Standard Time, and I guess that I'm liking it. The light seems more delicious and I can enjoy a cozy blanked at the same time as feeling a cool humid breeze drift in from the open window.

There were delights this week.

Clam came over to catch up pre sumo, which starts this weekend. We ate very many snacks.


I took the day off work, learning to navigate transit with my phone app so that I could go to an cookbook author q&a. I arrived early and ate a sandwich on the steps of a church while reading my new book. 

As I ate, grey haired ladies such as myself began arriving in groups, and filled the church. My people! The sound was problematic (they had mic'd everybody but the author perfectly), and I could see lots of folks fiddling with their hearing aids to adjust to the volume. The smartest thing I heard her say was that she'd been asked to be a judge on Top Chef, and they'd tried to lure her by saying "It'll change your life!" Before this she'd been on the fence, but since she didn't want her life to change it became an easy no. After the event I did not stand in line with the hundred or so folks who wanted a photo opp. I know I was there. 

The clouds were gorgeous and puffy as seem from light rail.
I had to see my mom this week because a caregiver suddenly needed $1400 and someone asked me if I could deliver it that day in person. Sure. Mom, who I promised myself just days earlier that I would NEVER see again because of her general evilness, was smiling and sweet and held my pink hand with her blue one. On the way out of the facility, I got to see darling Joan. She grasped my hand gently, covered my arm in kisses and told me that she loved me. I love her too.
And on Friday we finished the acquisition of the personal archives of one of our company's founders. A project long in the making, we had boxed the material years ago and waited for him to finish his book. Then the pandemic happened, and this year he let us know he was really ready. Due to the march of time and very small mammals, we brought fresh boxes to his house in Friday's final installment. We decanted the material into the new boxes, cut our circa 2014 labels off of the original boxes and taped them to the new ones. Our Facilities guys brought the van over to their house and hauled the boxes out of the basement for us, while stopping to say "Thanks for making Hammerslag!" "I'm pretty proud of it," the founder replied modestly. All in all a great day.

Of course by the next morning I was back on mom's chain gang, dealing with urgent caregiving and sister stuff. All in a day's work.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails