February 10, 2024

Things I Bought: Ernst Gottlob

The other week I was looking at Liveauctioneers, as I often do. I decided to look for items from Leipzig. This is where my people lived for a few generations, and it's a town that mrguy and I have visited and like. So I ran a search and found a rather unattractive pastel portrait by my 5th great grandfather, Ernst Gottlob. His name was misspelled "Ernest", and that's why my saved search for his name in Liveauctioneers did not notify me. I bid on it and won. It was dead cheap. I'm sure it will be much more expensive with the auction house fee, tax, shipping from Berlin and custom packaging, but the base price is $216.

Sweet!

It will go in the lady bathroom, next to the copy on canvas of a portrait by him. My sister the painter was right, when she predicted that some day I would probably own a work by him. I'm psyched. I will be able to own something that he actually created one year before my 4th great grandmother was born. Super cool.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails