March 9, 2019

Live Better Electrically

For 11 years I have obsessed over a photo I took of the decorative cement brick facade of a local apartment house. The photo I took of the cement brick had a medallion in it. I wish I'd taken a closeup of the medallion. This, my friends, is what happens when you have too much time on your hands.

I knew that I'd taken the photo in the neighborhood of our car dealership, where I had an upcoming service appointment, so a few weeks back I used Google Street View to find the building. Took all of five minutes. After my service appointment I did a driveby and took better photos of the brick and the medallion. The brick is, as always, gorgeous.


I fully expected the medallion to refer to something about the external architecture, but it turns out that it's related to a post-war effort to use cleaner power in buildings. This was a Medallion Home, whose slogan at the time was "Live Better Electrically".

For more information, there is an entire website devoted to it.

Enjoy

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails