January 21, 2007

DAY 3




I guess we really like to eat, shop and listen to music. This seems to be our M.O.

Friday we headed to the AIA to get their architectural walking tour map. Then we headed to Chinatown, where I was hoping to see noodles prepared. It didn't quite work out. We cruised through the stalls and food courts, and it was amazing. We saw the Chinese version of preserved persimmons.



Everything in the food stalls looked and smelled incredibly tasty (except durian), but when it came time to eat, I balked. When need for a restroom key took me into the bead shop where I saw a cockroach the size of a little mouse, I needed to eat in a different building. Please understand that one of my favorite restaurants is filthy and infested with cockroaches. It is, in fact, the dirtiest place I can think of. But if the cockroaches at my restaurant were Hawaii size, I couldn't eat there.

We ended up in another part of the complex at Pho 97. I’m still trying for variety, so I had a salad of noodles, mint, sprouts, and grilled sausage made of pounded shrimp and rice. So tasty. And the loveliest green beverage, which was pennywort drink. Tasted a bit like lawn, but seemed healthful. In fact people drink it to reduce their skin irritations and mental illnesses. Way to be.




Then there was some resting. And then some more eating. I was hoping to find us a kaiseki meal, like the tasty ones we had on ANA, but instead found a multicourse menu at Kyoya that did basically the same thing. Yummy different tastes and experiences all in one meal. Mr Guy's butterfish with miso glaze was as good as on the airplane. And yamakake, grated mountain potato over maguro, is something I will start making at home.

What's for breakfast?



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails