January 9, 2007

The Nose Does Not Always Know

I have lost my sense of smell and taste.

It's so strange that I have no sense of smell when I think about it so often. I even selected Goosemas treats for a friend last month based entirely on great flavors. I feel naked without my senses.

Triple S (an old boyfriend) once knew a woman who had lost her sense of taste after a motorcycle accident. As a parlour trick she would pour ketchup on an ice cream sundae and eat it, to the shock and dismay of spectators.

I feel like that woman. Can barely smell a thing. I tried my favorite rose, wet paint and cat box. Nuthin. Turns out that the reason I was freezing yesterday is that Mr Guy opened all the windows to make the paint fumes go away. I didn't even know there were any.

Years ago this same sense-robbery happened when I lived briefly in New England. Triple S's parents took us out to a famous local restaurant that I'd been dying to go to on a day when I had no nose. They even had fiddleheads on the menu, a local delicacy I'd been dying to try. It all tasted like...paste.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails