February 13, 2010

Lothar Meggendorfer

This week I constructed a humidification chamber in my office. I ran an experiment to see how various art papers responded to humidity. The results were swift and conclusive. Right on!

While I was trying to make a decision about one aspect of the humidifier's construction, I looked on the web for examples and found this adorable video about doing what I was about to do.

On the same page were other links to conservation-related topics. One was a video about repairing a movable book created by Lothar Meggendorfer. His books are complex and beautiful and amusing, with fish jumping out of the water to catch flies and cellists sawing away and alligators snapping their jaws.

The intersection of conservation and these beautiful books was almost too much for me. At various points in this video you get to see under the hood, so to speak, and appreciate how complex the workings of these books are. Check it out.

Want to buy one? The one being repaired in the video can be found for around thirteen hundred bills.

For more Meggendorfers in action, youtube has video presentations of the books Moving Animals, and Always Jolly.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails