November 6, 2020

The Foot of Cupid

I've been looking for a good gif of the Monty Python foot, because for the last few months I've been imagining the foot crushing me closer and closer to the ground. It's a comical way to look at the amazing pile-up of events we're all having during the pandemic.

In the last two months I've watched from afar the decline and death of my favorite cousin, the new partner of an old friend (he went from diagnosis of prion disease to death in a matter of weeks), and a work colleague who did chemo for most of the last year and blogged it all.

Three cats in our circle have died. Our older boy cat is hobbled and the boisterous kitten and I live in separate parts of the house to protect the elder from the younger.

Update: I totally forgot about the stress of fires. My go-bags are still packed.

I'm grinding through a more-than-decade project at work that is grinding to a stop, yet this project still occupies many meetings and emails and much planning even in its conclusion.

The election.

My family has so much conflict over my mom and her care. Covid has only made it worse. Covid will continue. The caregivers split a 7 day week between them. I don't think they can continue to work this way. My older siblings are too frail themselves to pitch in. In May I expressed to middlesis that this was a problem, and she responded that it was Spring and she couldn't think about it after a hard winter and doing so much for the family (truth. she does so much).

So we didn't talk about it, and with the holidays coming she asked me for help. I said go to mediation with me and I'll give you my answer. I've been seeing someone who specializes in gerontology to hopefully get my sister to talk to me about this stuff. Over the summer she had said she'd go to mediation with me, and now...nope. Big sis and I got a mutual email and we're on the shit list.

The election.

Big sis has a potential large health situation, in the middle of all of this.

The election.

The election.

Layoffs. Yesterday I went to four separate meetings about layoffs. Of 22 people at the factory, 4 were in my tiny department, and two others were people I work with closely. One of them is my closest work buddy, who was hired on the same day as I was, 20 years ago. I'm devastated.

I will cope. It will get better. I coined a phrase last week about finding one thing a day that you like and love the hell out of it.

But I feel the foot right now.

 

For more on the origin of the foot, check out its Wikipedia page.

Maybe I'll just love the foot today.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails