September 11, 2022

Leaving Town

I haven't gotten on an airplane or even been away from home for more than a few hours for the last three years. And my oldest neph and sister made it possible for me to blow town for days. Admittedly I'm working a convention and it's really tiring, but I desperately needed to fill my eyeballs with something different for a while.

My role? To be a charming representative of my people at a trade show. To help them take photos of themselves for Instagram. To give a presentation.

My hotel room had a super gross feature: a leak. I washed my hands, went to dry them on a towel and realized that it was fully saturated with water. And that it had a green streak down the middle, that was the same verdegris color as the pipe hole above it. Grossss. Second room (king suite) also had pipe hole, and dripped cold water on me while I was bathing.

These things have also actually happened:

  • I have touched hundreds of strangers' phones
  • I gave a presentation this morning that was lightly but enthusiastically attended
  • A woman in costume was so intense with us that three of us simultaneously stepped backward out of our own booth to get away from her
  • I walked 2 miles home from a restaurant at night in my platform clogs
  • A woman heckled me in the hotel hallway for how I was walking to my room. My feet hurt so badly at that point. It wasn't really funny.
  • I met hundreds of really nice people
  • I had a good time
  • My uber boss said he loved me and that I'm a star
I am super grateful to my sister and neph for their encouragement and filling in for me with my mom. Now that I've had some time away I'd like to figure out how to have a life again while still making my mom happy, because since she's moved I haven't had any time with mrguy or much to myself. 

Work in progress.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails